A dental implant is an alternative to a fixed bridge or partial denture. A dental implant replaces one or more missing teeth by using a biocompatible titanium root placed directly into the bone. The end result are attractive, natural-looking teeth that help you look and feel your very best. You will be able to enjoy the food you love, speak with the confidence you once had and smile as wide and as big as you feel inside.
We invite you to learn more about how dental implants can improve your life. This page will help prepare you to take that first big step toward regaining your natural, confident smile. We recommend that you book a dental implant consultation with Dr. Izabela Olczyk at Lakeshore Dental to fully explore how dental implants can be the right choice for you.
“A titanium anchor is embedded in the bone in order to support the replacement of a missing tooth.”
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are a safe, medically proven, aesthetic alternatives to traditional crowns, bridgework, and dentures. Because implant restorations look and feel more like natural teeth, they offer new levels of comfort, security and confidence over traditional treatments.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Choosing dental implants as a treatment option can offer you a number of significant advantages.
- Maintain Natural Bone. If you have missing teeth, the bone begins to shrink over time. Unhealthy bone loss can make your jaw line recede and change your facial structure. Dental implants can help prevent deterioration of the jawbone so your face retains its natural shape.
- Keep your healthy teeth. A better long-term alternative to bridgework, dental implants eliminate the need to grind down healthy teeth when replacing one or more adjacent teeth. Your own natural healthy teeth are not compromised.
- Biocompatible Security. Securely anchored dental implants do not slip or move because they fuse to the bone. They are biocompatible. This eliminates some of the key problems of dentures, including poor fit, gum irritation and pain from exposed nerves. The result is superior comfort, reliability, and the freedom to speak, smile or eat what you want, whenever you want.
What is involved in the implant procedure?
The dental implant process involves several steps that take place over a time period that averages from 4 to 9 months. The typical process will include:
- Pre-treatment consultation: After a careful evaluation of your dental and medical health history, Dr. Izabela Olczyk will determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants. If you are, we will evaluate and discuss with you the surgical and prosthetic outcomes before your treatment begins.
- Initial implant placement: Dr. Izabela Olczyk places the dental implant into your jaw while you are under local or general anesthesia. Over the next several months, bone will heal to the surface of the implant, anchoring it into position. Depending on your particular case, an additional minor procedure may be required to create an opening through which your artificial tooth will emerge.
- Implant prosthetic attachment: During this phase, Dr. Olczyk painlessly attaches a prosthetic “post” to the implant. An impression will be taken, and soon after, an artificial replacement tooth will be created for a natural restoration.
- Proper maintenance: Your dental practitioner will guide you on the proper care and maintenance of your new implant before, during and after the procedure. By following a regular routine of careful oral hygiene and regular checkups, your dental implants will look, function and feel great for many years to come.